SLOW Cook – Ketchup Prawns
Dinner that I whipped up tonight!
Been cooking a fair bit these few Sundays since there was only Dad and me are at home and dinner was prepared on his request.
Today’s egg dish was a disappointment as I had wanted to make a very smooth steam egg but failed. It looked like a smuggy monster growing out of the thin plate instead! hahaha
These baby cheese sausages were basically no-brainer as all I had to do was to heat it up.
I am very pleased and satisfied with the outcome of the Ketchup Prawns as this is the first time I am cooking this dish. I had no idea what other seasoning goes into making Ketchup Prawns other than tomato ketchup and had always find it a complex dish to cook. Took up the challenge today despite shortage of tomato ketchup at home! ;p Luckily there were sachets of tomato ketchup and chilli sauce at home that I could used!
A picture of all the ingredients needed.
The ingredients need to cook this dish:
1) 4 big prawns (thawed and cutoff those sharp and pointy tails, head). You can add more prawns if you like. 4 is enough for the 2 of us as they are pretty big
2) 1/2 cup of mix vegetables (thawed)
3) 2 small tomatoes, sliced
4) 1 clove of garlic, minced & 5) 2 shallots, sliced
6) about 60-70grams of ketchup ( since I was using whatever sachets I have, I ended up with 20g of ketchup and 50g of chilli sauce. Still taste good though ;p)
7) 1/2 teaspoon of soya sauce
8 ) one dollop of oyster sauce
9) half a cup of hot water
10) a dash of pepper (optional)
11) 2 Table spoon of Olive oil
The beauty of Chinese Stir-fry cooking is that all you have to do is to throw everything sequentially into the wok/pan, stir and ensure that the raw ingredients are cooked, seasoned them and the dish is ready!
How to cook: Turn on heat to medium, add the oil into the wok/pan (I am using non-stick pan here). Add the garlic and onions in and stir fry for a while till the onions are a little translucent. Add in the mix vegetables and tomatoes and stir fry for about 2 minutes till the tomatoes and vegetables are thoroughly heated.
Next, add in the tomato ketchup and quickly add in half a cup of hot water so that you have enough sauce to cook and coat the prawns. Once it is bubbling, add in the prawns to cook. You can add in the oyster sauce and soya sauce at this point.
Flip the prawns and once they are thoroughly cooked, the dish is ready! 😉